The Hedge Laying Association of Ireland, which is registered as a public limited company, was founded in 2004 by a group of hedge layers and other interested individuals. Its aims and objectives are:
• To encourage and facilitate the conservation, protection and appropriate management of hedgerows
• To promote the craft and profession of hedge laying
• To encourage and facilitate landowners in the management of hedges by laying, where appropriate
• To encourage and train people in the craft of hedge laying
• To establish, maintain and promote recognised standards of craftsmanship in hedge laying
• To research and document the tradition of hedge laying in Ireland
With funding from the Northern Ireland Heritage Lottery Fund, the HLAI have been researching are carrying out a series of modern hedge laying demonstrations to highlight the continued relevance of this traditional craft to agriculture, the landscape and biodiversity in Northern Ireland.